Saturday, December 09, 2006

Searching inside...

I've always found it very difficult to express myself in speech and writing. There's always something that holds me back. However, today I dared myself to write freely, refusing to consider the consequences of bad grammar or bad terminology or bad flow altogether.

Profanity

Would the world of youngsters collapse if there weren't profanity? I am sick to my stomach each time I hear foul words uttered or blogged. Is there no way else one can express oneself? Does one always have to succumb to such self-degradation? In truth, they are just words... it should not even bother me, but society has labeled them as a breach of propriety, and I cannot help but cringe. To observe such filth spilling from the mouth of a girl, blooming with beauty, is wrenching, and to witness an astute student of science unable to formulate a sentence without vulgarity is disheartening.

Doesn't education yield cleaner, more elevated minds? I've often wondered... here I am in one of the most prestigious institutes in the world, and yet these words are exchanged with ease among the purportedly intellectual-elite. Such opprobrium would be easily understood in the context of a construction site. Yet, why in a laboratory? Why should one swear when his computer program refuses to work? Couldn't he better channel his frustration?

Thus I conclude, an education isn't holistic until one rids himself off profanity.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

December 10, 2006 at 12:50:00 AM EST  
Blogger m said...

However, those instances where I have observed such profanity are not dire, desperate circumstances.

December 10, 2006 at 11:52:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am firmly convinced that people resort to profanity because their vocabulary is limited. Take the four letter word for instance; it can express anger, frustration, sense of hopelessness, despair, despondency, depression, condemnation, surprise, astonishment, irritation and so forth. Very handy word indeed save for the fact that it is a vulgar slang for an intimate and pleasurable encounter between consenting adults.

December 14, 2006 at 8:10:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aloha cousin. you can guess who introduced me to your blog. merry late christmas. whee. oh and you are very nicely random. =D

December 27, 2006 at 11:25:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home